Sunday, May 6, 2012

Starting conditions

How far am I from being able to attempt the challenge? Pretty far, if I'm being completely honest. Setting a goal like this isn't really about honesty though. Or reality. It's about knowing what's beyond the horizon. It's about knowing something that can't be known. Perhaps because of intellect, experience, geography, or time the metaphorical path I need to find won't be immediately recognizable. That's the first challenge. I will have accomplished a lot if I just make it to the starting line in Banff. So here is the first starting line; a 280-pound, former roadie, couch potato must become an expert mountain biker with the stamina and courage of Pheidippides...in 13 months. That's a little too much reality. I'm just going to go ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment