Monday, May 7, 2012

More about getting started

I'm heavy. Heavy enough that any extended exercise that involves running around will eventually result in foot and ankle problems. My estimate is that I need to lose 94 pounds. I am about 280 pounds. Through my twenties I was under 200 pounds, and my best endurance results were achieved when I was in the 180's. For the record, I'm 6'4". So 186 is the goal. That would give me a BMI of 22 which according to several esteemed Internet sources is the optimal BMI for staying healthy.

Despite the foot and ankle discomfort I mentioned I have begun to increase the physical activity; a run on Thursday, bike ride on Saturday, and another run on Sunday. I am slow, and the distance is laughable when compared to the goal, but it is a beginning. I have a tendency to overtrain when I set a goal for myself, ignoring my body's warnings to slow down, recover, sleep. With age I know I have lost some ability, but I hope to have gained some wisdom. Yesterday I took a nap in the afternoon. For me that is unheard of so maybe it is a sign of wisdom. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment